May 1, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake


Oh my gosh!! This is one of the best pumpkin recipes ever! It is not over done with sugar like the Pumpkin Scones, but it is just so GOOD!!! Everyone in my family loved it. We left it on the stove for about half the day (so not a good idea) and then I went in the room where the stove is and a lot of the top was missing. Apparently, my 6 year old brother had been eating it. That just proves he likes it a lot. How I got this recipe was like this, I asked my mom if I could get on ALLRECIPES.com and look for a pumpkin coffee cake (we love coffee cakes). She said I could. So I looked up Pumpkin Coffee Cake and there are only two different pumpkin coffee cakes so I click on one and we have everything. I ask if I can make it the next day for breakfast. And, yep, she said yes. I made it and we LOVED it! Here’s the original recipe, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-coffee-cake/. And here is what I did.

        Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake
Bottom Layer:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup red sugar (brown)
1 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Top Layer:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter, melted
16oz fresh pumpkin, mashed or known as puree (I say mashed, sorry)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Topping
1½ Tablespoons white sugar
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

·         Preheat oven to 175C (350F). Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
·         Bottom Layer: mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in sugars, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla til’ batter is combined (I think that is a duhh). To get this combined well, you have to kinda’ knead it together. And you can’t pour it into the pan you have to pick the ball of dough up and mash it into the pan to make it work.
·         Bake in preheated oven for 5 mins. Leave the oven on.
·         Top Layer:  While the first layer is cooking, beat together sugar and melted butter. Stir in pumpkin, flour, eggs, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt til’ batter is smooth. Pour batter over the first partly cooked layer.
·         Topping: mix together in a very small bowl, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the coffee cake.
·         Bake in the preheated oven til’ knife inserted in the CENTER of the coffee cake comes out clean, I cooked it about 40 mins, but the real recipe says to cook it about 35 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracious words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24